Questions about Washington State Child Support? Talk to a lawyer today.

(206) 682-8383  ~  Seattle

(253) 444-5541  ~  Tacoma

(360) 350-4626  ~  Olympia

Washington Child Support and College

Post secondary support

Generally a child support order will end when the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is the latter of the two.  The Court may award post-secondary support at its discretion.

If the residential parent wants post-secondary support for their child they must petition the Court for the support within and very specific time frame and prior to the ending of the support order.  When considering whether to order post-secondary support the Court shall determine whether the child is in fact dependent and is relying upon the parents for the reasonable necessities of life.

The Court shall also consider other factors such as the child’s age and needs, the expectations of the parties for their children when they were together, the child’s ability to succeed and do well, the parent’s level of education and income and standard of living.

The child must register in an accredited college or vocational school and must be actively pursuing a course of study commensurate with the child’s goals. The parent may opt to pay the school directly when feasible.